Rabu, 06 Maret 2013

Wow! Great speakers...

Polk Audio AA6514 A 6 5 Inch Speaker

Polk Audio AA6514 A 6 5 Inch Speaker

In short... fantastic speakers. Now the long version:

My previous vehicle ended up being "Polked Out" with their db and MM-series of speakers and subs. Wasn't by design, it just ended up that way. Over the years, i got good deals on their stuff on sale and ended up with a pretty nice little system. Well, my old car is... old, so the 19 year-old that bought a new Civic went car shopping again, 12 years and 210,000 miles later. I ended up with a 2010 Hyundai Accent GS 3-door. Unlike the Civic, which had an awful stock system, the Hundai wasn't too bad. It even came with component speakers in the doors. This isn't a revelation on modern cars, but given the Accent is on the low end of the price spectrum, i'm pretty impressed about what's in it.

I got the itch to upgrade again, so off i went speaker shopping. The Accent can swallow up to 2-5/8" of speaker (top mount depth) without running into the window glass. What makes the MM6501 really awesome is the fact it's a full 6.5" speaker, with only a 5" hole requirement to sneak the basket through. As it turns out on the Accent, the stock speakers are a bit smaller than 6.5" and the 5" hole was spot on for the Polks. The mounting flange on the Polks is larger and the holes are farther outward than stock. In my case, i had to file the holes inward a bit and still ended up putting the mounting screws in at an inward angle to get the right "bite" on the stock mounts. Not the way i normally like to put screws in, but i really didn't want to custom fab new speaker mounts. If your car has true 6.5" speakers, you'll probably be fine.

The cross-over has a 0/-3dB selector for the tweeter's "brightness." Unless you just love massive treble, go with -3db. These speakers have wonderful highs, even at the lower setting. Compared to my stock speakers, they sound fantastic. In my old Civic, i had Polk dB coaxials up front. These MM components put them to shame in both the amount of bass they're capable of delivering, but also the mids and highs you will get. Having the tweeters closer to ear level really makes a huge difference.

My EQ setting has gone from lots of bass and treble boost on the factory setup, to nearly flat with these Polks. The first couple days i had them, i thought something was wrong. I was listening to songs and hearing occasional weird noises in the background. I was listening to Tuesday's Gone by Metallica (Garage Inc album) and heard a few clicks/taps about 40 seconds into the song. At first, i thought i had a loose wire or something. I went back over and over and kept hearing it. I then went home and listened to it on my headphones. It wasn't as clear on my headphones, but darn it, it was there! I never noticed it before. I've heard this recording dozens of times and just never noticed it. These speakers bring out details beautifully, even details you may not always want to hear.

I find that recordings with good clean guitar sound just awesome. Layla (unplugged) by Clapton. Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits. It's like i've never heard them before...

Alright, enough gushing about these speakers. As you can tell, I like these speakers.... a lot. I've never heard sound this good at home or in my car before. This is truly one of those rare product purchases where my only regret is not buying them sooner. At full retail, they're worth the money. At $180 on Amazon, they're a steal.

Get your Polk Audio AA6514 A 6 5 Inch Speaker Now!

1 komentar:

  1. i have about 400, but i dont want to spend it all. im looking for 4 speakers that have good clarity and decent bass. the radio doesnt need to be super nice, but i want it to have an aux in slot and ipod/usb slot.

    BalasHapus